Here are 5 things you may not know about BC premier-designate John Horgan.
1. Born in 1959 and raised in Victoria, the youngest of four children. Father died of a brain aneurysm when he was 18 months old.
2. Earned a bachelor of arts degree from Trent University in Peterborough, Ont., and a master of arts degree from Sydney University in Australia.
3. Horgan was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2008 and was later declared cancer-free after surgery and treatment.
4. Was was first elected MLA for Malahat-Juan de Fuca in 2005 and re-elected for Juan de Fuca in 2009 and 2013. Acclaimed party leader in 2014.
5. Married his wife, Ellie, in 1984. They have two sons, Nate and Evan.